Why Wikis Rock!?!
Introduction to Wikis (30 minutes)
- A fathers online search for his daughters name.
- History - Ward Cunningham developed the quick-web so people could quickly share and record ideas, this became the wikiwikiweb
- Discuss and create concept maps of;
- What are great about Friendships !?!
- What makes knowledge / Information / Learning great !?!
- How do these two come together?
- Your use of Wikis
- What is great?
- What sucks?
- Wikis as a Public Service
- Open Educational Resources (OER)
- WikiEducator, Curriki, WikiVersity, Etc...
Wiki Quality (15 minutes)
- Discuss what is good writing, information, etc...
- Draw a line (bad report at one end, really good report at the other)
- gather ideas for what make a good report
- gather ideas for what make a bad report
- The collaborative nature of wiki quality
- Tie writing discussion back into collaboration and wiki quality
- Show wikis history pages, describe how the wikis history shows level of quality
History flow (5 minutes)
- Discuss the edit / revert cycle in relation to wiki quality
- Discuss Wikipedia's dispute resolution policy
- Show and discuss history flow graphics
Q&A (5 minutes)
- As students entering into high school, why should wikis matter to you?