1. It is a layered frame work for design of network systems that allows for communication across all types of computers systems.
2. An Open System is a model that allows any two different computers or systems to communicate regardless of their underlying architecture.
3. The OSI model is not a protocol.
4. It is a model for understanding and designing a network architecture that is flexible, robust and interoperable.
5. The OSI model acts as a baseline for creating and comparing networking protocols.
6. The goal of this model is to break down the task of data communication into simple steps, these steps are called layers.
7. The OSI model consists of seven distinct layers namely Physical layer, Datalink layer, Network layer, Transport layer, Session layer, Presentation layer and Application Layer and each layer has certain responsibilities.