- 1 About Monica Sain
- 1.1 Education
- 1.2 Work History and Current Positions
- 1.3 Current Positions
- 1.4 Previous Experience
- 1.4.1 KCI Coordinator/Administrative Assistant/Newsletter Editor Foothill College - Krause Center for Innovation
- 1.4.2 Research Assistant/Columnist - Responsible Hospitality Institute
- 1.4.3 Program Coordinator/Tutor - Mid-Peninsula Housing Coalition
- 1.4.4 Various positions - Prog. Coordinator, Exec. Asst., etc. - University of California, Santa Cruz
- 1.4.5 Teaching Intern (Fall Quarter 2007 Assignment) - Branciforte Middle School
- 1.4.6 Floater Coach/Lobby Ambassador - Cisco Systems
About Monica Sain
- I work for the College Open Textbooks Program at Foothill College as a Web Coordinator and Workshops Manager (a.k.a., "Admin. II").
- In Fall 2010, I began working on my Master's degree in English (concentration on literature). I'm really enjoying taking pedagogy and literary theory courses, while working as a grad assistant for a wonderful professor.
- In 2011, during my second year as an M.A. student, I am planning to work as a Teaching Associate, teaching two sections of composition.
- I also love working as a tutor and academic coach - I just love helping those who are interested in improving their reading, writing, and grammar skills. I look forward to working with a wide range of students (K-college).
B.A., Literature, University of California, Santa Cruz
Currently working on my M.A. in English at San Jose State University
(: MA in English - wow - I'll have to mind my p's and q's - Randy Fisher)
Work History and Current Positions
Graduate Assistant, San Jose State University English Department
August 2010 – Present (3 months)
- Creating lessons and providing occasional lectures for an upper-division English class
- Providing guidance for students during office hours, before classes, after classes, and by appointment
- Grading essays and exams
Self-Employed English Tutor (currently on hiatus in order to focus on other positions and studies)
March 2010 – Present (8 months)
- I help students of all ages master writing, reading, vocabulary, and grammar. Most of all, I love creating lesson plans that help students understand concepts while encouraging them to love learning!
- I also focus on helping students improve their study skills: how they can better retain what they learn, in addition to better managing their time.
- (currently on hiatus in order to focus on studies and other two positions)
Workshops Manager and Web Coordinator, Open Textbooks Program at Foothill College
February 2010 – Present (9 months)
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Planning Open Textbook events
- Managing Open Textbooks Ning and Google Websites
- Editing grammar textbooks and company articles
- Writing blogs
- Facilitating social networking about open textbooks
- Managing department finances
KCI Coordinator/Administrative Assistant/Newsletter Editor Foothill College - Krause Center for Innovation
October 2008 – February 2010 (1 year 5 months)
- Envisioned and implemented new operational policies and procedures for running the KCI.
- Outcomes include reduced expenditures and increased efficiency.
- Produced the KCI newsletter, including editing, writing, setting deadlines, and soliciting articles.
- Lead coordinator for the KCI’s programs, responsible for timelines, delegation of tasks, and coordination of logistics.
- Mentor for Sister to Sister, a group supporting the success of young women in college.
- Member of a Foothill College hiring committee.
Research Assistant/Columnist - Responsible Hospitality Institute
November 2005 – May 2009 (3 years 7 months)
I wrote columns and news summaries for the company website, in addition to providing research about how to better facilitate the economic development and sociability of cities. I also helped edit and provide research for the company's Practical Guide.
Program Coordinator/Tutor - Mid-Peninsula Housing Coalition
April 2008 – June 2008 (3 months)
- Created the summer educational curriculum
- Tutored students aged six through 20 in various subjects, including how to write a personal statement for college admission
- Earned the Best Summer Curriculum Idea Award during second week of work ("Create Your Own Newspaper")
- Planned daily enrichment activities
Various positions - Prog. Coordinator, Exec. Asst., etc. - University of California, Santa Cruz
2007 – 2008 (1 year)
- Various short-term and limited duration positions, including Event & Program Coordinator for the CfAO, Executive Assistant in the Chancellor's Office, Interim Program Manager for the CRLP, Professor's Assistant in biomolecular engineering:
- Successfully planned and recruited students for the Workshops for Engineering and Science Transfers (WEST) program.
- Coordinated all logistics and complex financial processes for the California Reading & Literature Program, including creating agendas, processing travel reimbursements, creating budgets, organizing catering, and designing promotional materials.
- Edited NSF grants.
Teaching Intern (Fall Quarter 2007 Assignment) - Branciforte Middle School
October 2007 – December 2007 (3 months)
- During my final quarter at UCSC, I worked as a teaching intern as part of my Education 180 - Intro. to Teaching class. I worked in a sixth-grade English and Social Studies class and a seventh grade AVID class.
- Assisting the teacher with grading papers
- Facilitating group projects
- Providing guidance for struggling students
Floater Coach/Lobby Ambassador - Cisco Systems
April 2001 – September 2005 (4 years 6 months)
- Trained new floater receptionists, provided top-notch customer care, redesigned the Lobby Ambassador Cheat Sheet. Worked at most of the San Jose Headquarters buildings, the former Santa Cruz site, and the former Scotts Valley site.