Are Fractions Commutative?
Creating Fraction Strips
- Use pre-cut pieces of paper
- On the first piece of paper write 1 and one whole.
- The second piece is folded in half, write 1/2 and one half
- Continue for quarters and eighths
Using Fraction Strips for Multiplication
- write the equation in symbols e.g. 1/3 x 3/8
- Then use the language e.g. 1/3 of 3/8
- Using the strip with eighths, cover all but three eighths.
- Visually it is easy to see that one third of three eighths is one eighth
- What other fractional multiplication problems can you solve with your fraction strips?
Commutative Property of Mutiplication
- 3 x 4 = 4 x 3 (even though they don't look the same)
- Does 1/3 x 3/8 yield the same answer as 3/8 x 1/3?
- What is the answer if we swap just the numerators? e.g. 3/3 x 1/8?