User:Jyotiraina/Perspective Building in Learning and Cognition
Project Title: Perspective Building in Learning and Cognition
- Project Overview
The goal to the study of Learning and Cognition is perspective building. The field engenders a variety of assumptions about epistemology, the epistemic subject and the processes involved.
The trend in the history of the study of Learning and Cognition has been to move from a static view of knowledge and learning to the sociocultural approach which is gaining popularity in the contemporary times. While the former is an "inside-out" approach the latter is an "outside-in", one which believes mind to be a co-construction of the world.This is concomittant with a shift in focus on the unit of analysis from either the mind or the world to "mind in the world".
Therefore, when a scholar of Educational Psychology seeks to understand the field of Learning and Cognition, this situating of theories in the broader context of trends that have emerged in the history of Learning and Cognition becomes an overarching goal.It is therefore important not to miss the forest for the trees.
Such perspective building calls for an inter-contextual discourse which transcends all geographical boundaries.The present project seeks to develop an interactive discusssion board which serves as a forum for the above mentioned discourse.
- Aims and Objectives
- To post some reading material on the major perspectives in Learning and Cognition: Behaviorism, Cognitivism and Constructivism.This will serve as the initial point of inquiry and discussion
- To solicit comments from visitors across the globe on the above mentioned reading material.
- To collate the above mentioned comments into concluding paragraphs which can serve as a fora for futher discussions.
- To describe educational practices and classroom situations, and to solicit a discussion on the assumptions that undeline them.
- To serve as a platform for expressing visitors views on the nature of learning and cognition reflecting their unique understandings.