User:Dkunda/Application of Computers in Primary Schools
Applications of Computers in Primary Schools
- Word Processing
- Teachers/Educators can use Word processing to type the exams, tests, assignments for learners
- Teachers/Educators can use Word processing to teach pupils on how to spell check the work, align the work, make the text bold, change font size, colour, create page borders and change the text in italics
- Teachers/Educators can use spreadsheet to teach pupils/learners on how to perform simple arithmetic such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division.
- Teachers/Educators can use spreadsheet to store pupils/Learners test scores, grades, results.
- Teachers/Educators can use spreadsheet to show sample charts to pupils/Learners
- Teachers/Educators can use database such as Ms Access to store information about a pupil or learner
- Databases make work easier for teachers to query, link and access data for a pupil or a learner
- Power-point Presentations
- Teachers/Educators can use Power-Point presentation to give notes to pupils by beaming the notes on a screen using an LCD projector.
Pupils Can use computers in a number of ways, for example
- Typing skills. Here they can use computer software to assist them
- Logic. Pupils can also learn logic and mathematics using computer software that emulate logic and mathematics
- Colors. Here pupils can use computer software to learn the different colors
- Painting. Here pupils can use paint brush to learn how to paint and the concept of art work
The advantage of pupils using computer in learning assist them to improve their learning skills and also makes learning fun for them. Some pupils after learning how to use computer can get self employed. I also know of pupils who decided to study computing course after finishing secondary schools because they were introduced to computing when they were very young
If you are in doubt that computer can assist pupils improve their learning skills you can check with an website here and you will for yourself Portal:primary. if you have visited this website I am sure you have proved the point and you are happy.
Learners at primary school are active and their attention span is short. Their lessons need to be exciting and appealing to their world of interest. Educational games can help achieve all this and teachers are encouraged to use them.
- Learning Skills
Educational games are an easy way of exposing learners to activities that help them form and sustain acquired knowledge and skills. Games can also be designed in such a way that learners apply what they have learnt in real life situations.
- Typing Skills
As learners enthusiastically engage in educational games either to win or to move up a stage, their typing skills improve. Their efficiency in operational skills improve significantly as they are bound to stay on the computer for long hours. Disadvantages
Although computers games can enhance primary school children's learning, this should be done under supervision where possible otherwise they become addicted and neglect other activities that would help them develop in other learning areas as well.
- Physical Exercise
Staying on the computer for long hours has a negative impact on learners' physical health.