- 1 Digital Electronics for Beginners
- 1.1 Aim and Objectives
- 1.2 Our profile
- 1.3 Digital Electronics for beginners
- 1.4 What is Digital Electronics?
- 1.5 Study Materials
- 1.6 Labs
- 1.7 Assess yourself
- 1.8 Play a Digital Game
- 1.9 Other Courses on Digital Electronics
Digital Electronics for Beginners
This course is intended to teach basic concepts in Digital Electronics to the students who are interested in following Computer Science and Electronics.
Aim and Objectives
This course was developed to provide basic understanding in using OER resources to learn Digital Electronics.
- Give basic understanding of Digital Electronics
- Guiding to tutorials
- Practice concepts using Simulators and online laboratories
- Assessments and tutorials
- Playing with digital electronics games
- Learning about courses in OER
We would be composing a OER on Digital Electronics for under graduate students.
Digital Electronics for beginners
What is Digital Electronics?
Digital electronics, or digital (electronic) circuits, represent signals by discrete bands of analog levels, rather than by a continuous range. All levels within a band represent the same signal state. Relatively small changes to the analog signal levels due to manufacturing tolerance, signal attenuation or parasitic noise do not leave the discrete envelope, and as a result are ignored by signal state sensing circuitry.
In most cases the number of these states is two, and they are represented by two voltage bands: one near a reference value (typically termed as "ground" or zero volts) and a value near the supply voltage, corresponding to the "false" ("0") and "true" ("1") values of the Boolean domain respectively.
Digital techniques are useful because it is easier to get an electronic device to switch into one of a number of known states than to accurately reproduce a continuous range of values.
Digital electronic circuits are usually made from large assemblies of logic gates, simple electronic representations of Boolean logic functions.
Study Materials in many forms suc as pdf, tutorials, videos etc.
- Electronics 
- Electronic Circuit Analysis 
- Lecture 1 - Introduction to Basic Electronics 
- Lecture 2 - Electronic Devices 
- Boolean Logic
- Boolean Algebra: AND/OR/NOT 
- Bits, Binary, Boolean Logic and Computers 
An algorithm to implement a boolean function using only NAND's or only NOR's 
Logic Gates and Concepts
Designworks - Simulator for Circuit Design
DesignWorks is a logic schematic creation and simulation program. It comes with many circuit symbols and models that allow you to create logical circuits. This tutorial will be using DesignWorks Professional by Capilano Computing.
- Introduction to Digital Systems Laboratory
- Hands-On Introduction to Electrical Engineering Lab Skills 
You can find many tutorials in the web, here we have listed few for you to start with;
Play a Digital Game
Bianary Game 
Other Courses on Digital Electronics
Introduction to Electronics 
MIT courses in Electronics