This prescription defines the requirements for a two-year Vocational Agriculture course specially designed to provide and develop an interest in agricultural activities for students intending to leave primary school.
The main objective is to provide basic agricultural knowledge and skills for interested students which will lead them to a pathway that will successfully link them to the Vocational studies that are offered at Motufoua Secondary School.
In addition, the program has been compiled in such a way that students enjoy learning the subject as most of them have no or little background information on the subject but most importantly for them to acquire the necessary skills to help them earn some money for themselves when they leave school as well as for their family and the‘fenua’.
This course is designed for students whose ages range from 12 – 15 years especially for those who have keen interests in utilizing their land for agricultural purposes.
And finally, this vocational agriculture would not be possible without the grace of our Almighty Father. May his name be praised always.
Vocational Agriculture is a course designed to develop in students:
1. theoretical and practical skills for life long learning
2. knowledge and understanding of farming techniques in order to provide self or paid employment after leaving school.
3. understanding the basic agriculture concept to prepare students for further education in the agriculture field.
4. the drive to assist Tuvalu nationally in terms of vegetable production to minimize imports so as to save money for other developments within the country.
5. skills for rearing livestock, fish, planting of vegetables and tree crops for a better and healthier diet.
6. the ability and confidence to apply knowledge of Agriculture in whatever field or career opportunity he/she may pursue.
Course content outline
|Stage 1, year 1||Stage 2, year 2|
| UNIT 1
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY
| UNIT 5
TREE CROP PRODUCTION
| UNIT 2
| UNIT 6
| UNIT 3
FARM BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
| UNIT 7
LIVESTOCK PRODUCTION [PIG FARMING]
| UNIT 8
LIVESTOCK PRODUCTION [POULTRY FARMING]
Content (Year 1, stage 1)
Occupational health and safety
By the end of this unit, students should be able to :
- Define “What is occupational health and safety”
- understand the basic rules when handling chemicals, tools and equipment
- know the significance of wearing protective clothing when handling farm chemicals
- explain the importance of keeping the tool room clean at all times
- understand the effect of inhaling chemicals
- Definition of ‘occupational health and safety’
- Basic rules of handling chemicals, tools and equipment
- Importance of wearing protective clothing when handling chemicals
- Importance of keeping the tool room clean at all times
- Effect of inhaling chemical fumes