- Taufa'ahau had started to doubt his traditional gods, they were not serving his purposes
- Taufa'ahau was impressed with the advanced knowledge and technology that the missionaries were equipped with
- Taufa'ahau was convinced that the 'advanced' missionaries was the work of their God
- The missionaries were in dire need of a local hero who could advance their work and they saw their champion in Taufa'ahau
- Taufa'ahau had met all the right requirements for moving forward their cause
- Taufa'ahau and the missionaries' partnership was a 'marriage of convenience'