Introduction to Programming
- Computer program is a set of computer instructions used to solve a problem.
- Computer programmers write programs in programming language which have special rules and statements.
- There are many different programming languages that have been developed.
- There are FOUR classes/generations of programming languages.
- First Generation or Machine Code/language
- consist of 0s and 1s
- lowest level of programming language
- Second Generation/Assembly language
- use of short codes to represent instructions
eg (ADD, STO, SUB, ETC)
- Third Generation/High Level Language:
- does not depend on the machine
- programmer doesnot have to focus on the machine. He can pay attention on solving the problem
- programs written in high level language uses English like statements and are easier to write
example:pascal, basic, C, fortran, cobol etc.
- Fourth Generation Language (4GL)
- Uses English like statements like 2nd Generation.
- Easier to write than any other generation.
- User friendly messages and commands appear on the screen as icons. eg:- Visual Basic, Visual Fox Pro.
- Use built-in function and wizards that make it easier to arrive a solution to the problem.