Thompson Rivers University, Open Learning (TRU-OL)
Thompson Rivers University, Open Learning (TRU-OL) is a Canadian distance education provider, operating as the Open Learning Division of Thompson Rivers University (TRU). The Open Learning division, which is situated in the BC Centre for Open Learning on TRU's Kamloops campus, offers courses and programs through online and distance learning. Currently over 400 courses and 57 programs are available for enrolment.
About Thompson Rivers University, Open Learning (TRU-OL)
TRU-OL is a Canadian distance education provider, operating as the Open Learning Division of TRU. The Open Learning division offers courses and programs through online and distance learning. Currently over 400 courses and 57 programs are available for enrollment. Program credentials include: adult secondary school completion; certificates and diplomas, including advanced and post-baccalaureate; associate degrees; and bachelor's degrees.
Most of the Open Learning Division's distance courses are offered continually throughout the year and are non-paced, which means students work through coursework on their own at their own pace. Approximately 220 courses are designed and delivered by TRU-OL, while another 200 courses are available for registration through consortium institutions including Simon Fraser University (SFU) and the University of Victoria (UVic).
Open learning is an independent approach to education offering students flexibility and choice regarding how, when and where they learn. Program and course admission have few geographical restrictions and most programs have low residency requirements. In addition, open learning acknowledges students prior work experience, past education and training through credit transfer, educational laddering and prior learning assessment and recognition.
Students who complete a TRU certificate, diploma or degree program through Open Learning will receive a TRU credential that is fully recognized by the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC), of which TRU is a member. The Open Learning division of TRU, which helped found the Canadian Virtual University, operates in collaboration with other educational institutions as well as professional, industry and business associations.
Learning Support Network
Student Services Advisors help students develop educational plans and provide assistance determining prerequisites and entrance requirements for specific programs, transferring credit and assessing informal credit based on prior work experience. Once enrolled in a program, each student is assigned a personal Program Advisors who, through the entirety of their program, helps guide their education from program planning to course sequencing and selection. Students who complete a certificate, diploma or degree through TRU-OL will receive a TRU credential parchment and are invited to attend one of the two convocation ceremonies held at the TRU Kamloops campus.
History of TRU Open Learning
Thompson Rivers University (TRU) is BC's fourth largest provincial university. Founded in 1970 as a community college, it has been a degree granting institution since 1989. The Open Learning Division of Thompson Rivers University was created in 2005 when the university assumed ownership of all courses and programs of the former BC Open University. Today TRU-OL is based in the new BC Centre for Open Learning building located on the main Kamloops campus of TRU.
Distance and online programs and courses
Thompson Rivers University offers degrees and courses in Adult Basic Education, Arts, Business and Management Studies, Education, General Studies, Health and Human Services, Science, and Technology.
New Degree Programs
Business and Management
| First Nations Applied Economics|
• Advanced Certificate in Liberal Arts
• Associate of Arts
• Bachelor of Arts, General Program
• Bachelor of Arts, General Studies
• Bachelor of Arts, English Major
• Bachelor of Arts, History Major
• Bachelor of Arts, Psychology Major
• Bachelor of Arts, Sociology Major
• Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Liberal Arts
• Bachelor of Design
• Bachelor of Fine Art
• Bachelor of Music (Performance)
Business and Management Studies
• Certificate in Business Skills
• Certificate in Management Studies
• Diploma in Management Studies *
• Advanced Certificate in Management
• Advanced Diploma in Management
• Bachelor of Business, Real Estate
• Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)
• Bachelor of Commerce (General Management)
• Bachelor of Commerce (Human Resources Management)
• Bachelor of Commerce (Information Systems Management)
• Bachelor of Commerce (Leadership)
• Bachelor of Commerce (Marketing)
• Bachelor of Commerce (Public Sector Management)
• Bachelor of Commerce (Technology Management)
• Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Commerce *
• Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Business Principles
• Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Commerce *
*Concentrations may include: Technology Management; Public Sector Management; Marketing; Leadership; Information Technology; Information Systems Management; Human Resources Management; General Management; or Accounting.
Health and Human Services
• Medical Laboratory Assistance Certificate
• Polysomnography Certificate
• Return to Registered Nurse Practice Certificate
• Transition Courses: Nursing and Health
• Social Service Worker Certificate
• Anaesthesia Assistant Post-Diploma Program
• Bachelor of Health Science
• Bachelor of Health and Science (Physiotherapy)
• Bachelor of Health Science (Psychiatric Nursing)
• Graduate Certificate in Child and Youth Mental Health
• Water Treatment Technology Program
• Certificate in Information Technology
• Diploma in Information Technology and Management
• Bachelor of Technology (Computing)
• Bachelor of Technology (Technology Management)
• Bachelor of Technology (Trades and Technology Leadership)
- Thompson Rivers University is BC's fourth largest provincial university and, through its Open Learning Division (TRU-OL), is one of Canada’s leading distance education providers.
- Open Learning Agency
- Thompson Rivers University
- Thompson Rivers University, Open Learning
- TRU World
- TRU-OL Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)
- TRU, Williams Lake Learning Centre