The Senses Test Yourself
1. Where are the organs that sense pain, pressure and temperature found?
2. Which sense organ responds to chemicals in the air?
3. Match the words in the list below with the following descriptions.
- optic nerve | choroid | cornea | aqueous humor | retina | cones | iris | vitreous humour | sclera | lens
- a) Focuses light rays on the retina.
- b) Respond to colour and detail.
- c) Outer coat of the eyeball.
- d) Carries nerve impulses from the retina to the brain.
- e) The chamber behind the lens is filled with this.
- f) This layer of the eyeball reflects light in nocturnal animals like the cat.
- g) This is the transparent window at the front of the eye.
- h) This constricts in bright light to reduce the amount of light entering the eye.
- i) The light rays are focused on here by the lens and cornea.
- j) The chamber in front of the lens is filled with this.
4. Add the following labels to the diagram of the ear below.
- pinna | Eustachian tube | cochlea | tympanic membrane | external ear canal | ear ossicles | semicircular canals
5. What is the role of the Eustachian tube?
6. What do the ear ossicles do?
7. What is the role of the semicircular canals?