The Blood Test Yourself Answers
1. The liquid part of blood is known as plasma
2. There are two main types of cells in blood. They are:
- a) red blood cells
- b) white blood cells.
3. The most numerous cells in blood are red blood cells
4. The main function of the red blood cells is to transport oxygen
5. How would you tell a white cell from a red cell when looking at them through a microscope? (Give at least 2 differences)
- You would tell a white cell from a red cell when looking at them through a microscope by the red (pink) colour and no nucleus of red blood cells compared to the white cells which have a colourless cytoplasm and a purple stained nucleus.
6. How does the blood help fight invasion by bacteria and viruses?
- White cells in the blood help fight invasion by bacteria and viruses by engulfing them (neutrophils and monocytes) or producing chemicals (antibodies) that kill them (lymphocytes).
7. What would happen to blood if there were no platelets?
- If there were no platelets in the blood it would not clot to stop bleeding.