Teaching Adults Workshop1a/Action
Action that you choose to take in terms of facilitating learning will depend upon may factors including the learner's:
- past learning experiences
- learning preferences/styles
- readiness to learn
- commitment and the impact of other distractions.
If choosing actions/strategies considering the adult's learning preferences there are many different possible approaches If considering Neil Flemings VARK model:
- For visual learners you could use charts, maps, diagrams, and mind maps
- For aural learners you could have conversations, discussions, use stories, audiotapes/mp3 recordings, even podcasts
- For read/write learners you could use hand outs and encourage them to take their own notes. As Fleming suggests it's "words, words, words"
- For kinasthetic learners offer practical or virtual experiences, demonstrations and simulations
Of course there are many more learning styles and preferences and these are influences not only by individual preference but also by learning experience.