TIVET Course Guide
1.0 NATIONAL AIMS FOR TECHNICAL TRAINING PROGRAMMES
The aims of the Technical Training at both post primary and post secondary levels are to:
- provide training opportunities for the increasing number of school leavers to enable them to be self-supporting;
- develop practical skills and attitudes which will lead to income generating activities in the urban and rural areas through self-employment; provide practical education and training skills which are responsive and relevant to Kenya’s agricultural, industrial, commercial and economic needs;provide the technical knowledge and vocational skills necessary to enhance the pace of this nation’s development;
- encourage self-employment while at the same time producing skilled artisans, technicians and technologists for both formal and informal sectors at the ratio of one technologist to five technicians to 30 craftsmen/artisan (1:5:30).
The current Media of the day can be included on a page using the template
The audio or video file can be accessed using
|Media of the day in other languages:|
2.0 OBJECTIVES OF THE TECHNICAL TRAINING PROGRAMMES
The general objectives of the Technical training programmes are to:
- develop skills in trainees which will be responsive and relevant to the country’s human resources required at the middle level;
- prepare the trainees so that they can enter the world of work with confidence for either salaried employment or self-employment;
- impart adequate skills which will enable the trainee to operate either as craftsman or perform middle supervisory functions.
3.0 INTRODUCTION TO THE COURSE
It is intended to equip the trainee with knowledge, skills and attitudes which are responsive to the challenging needs in the building construction industry and for self employment. During the course the trainee shall be exposed to the following core areas:
- Construction methods and roofing
- Finishes and interior design
- Building services maintenance and demolition
This will make the trainee work effectively and efficiently in the building industry
The graduate of this course will work as competent technician in building construction sites, engineering drawing offices, research stations or training institutions.