Sustainable practice 1/carbohydrate game
To refresh on how a carbohydrate is produced, by what and what that means to our species
- Create a set of circular cards that each represent a molecule from the elements that are needed to make up a carbohydrate
- Provide a number of tooth picks
- Ask students to make as many CO2 and H2O (carbon dioxide and water) molecules as they can using the toothpicks to connect the carbon, oxygen and hydrogen molecules in a way that creates CO2 and H20. NB. Everyone circular card you have created should be used up
- Ask them then to create this carbohydrate molecule structure
- Ask them what it is that they have created and what is left over? What is the vital element need to achieve this molecule in real life? - The Sun! Provide a card that represents the sun.
- Then discuss how this carbohydrate is produced in real life. What does this mean to our species and how we operate in the natural world.