Skeleton Worksheet Answers
1. Add the labels to the diagrams of the long bone below.
2. Add the labels to the diagram of the vertebra shown below:
3. Add the labels to the diagram of the dog skeleton shown below:
4. Cross out the statements that are NOT correct.
- The skeleton:
- supports and protects the organs of the body
- provides a means of locomotion
grows throughout the life of the animal
- helps keep the level of calcium ions in the body constant
- develops from the cartilage laid down in the fetus
5. True or False. If false indicate the correct answer.
- The elbow joint is a synovial joint T
- The patella is a compact bone F It is a sesamoid bone
- The joints in the skull are fixed (immovable joints) T
- Unguligrade locomotion is walking on the toenails or hoofs T
- Flexion means increasing the angle between two bones F It is decreasing the angle of the joint.
- The joint between the axis and the atlas is a hinge joint. F It is a pivot joint.
- The articular surface of a joint is covered with spongy bone F It is covered in compact bone which itself has a covering of cartilage.
- Ligaments join two bones together at a joint. T
- Plantigrade locomotion is walking on the digits only. F It is walking on the "palms" of the fore or hindlimb.
- The hip joint is a hinge joint. F It is ball and socket joint.