Guided Discovery Lesson Plan
- Ricci Avella
- Science Methods
- Std II
- 40-45 minutes
- Previous Knowledge
- children are aware or two states of matter (liquid and solids).
- Work willingly as a group to conduct experiment.
- Bottles, clay, water, work sheets, newsprint.
- Social Studies: Air Pollution
- Observing, speaking, writing.
- Respect and appreciation for the air we breathe and our environment.
- Walpole 175 Science Experiments, pg 52.
- Ask students to look under their chairs for words cards.
- Present a chart with two columns, one for liquids and one for solids.
- Ask student to place word cards under their respective columns.
- Have children form groups of fives.
- Present two soft drink bottles to students.
- Fill one bottle with water. Ask students to state which bottle is the empty bottle.
- Record student’s responses on newsprint.
- Present students with a soft drink bottle and a funnel. Ask students to place funnel on top of the bottle while sealing the mouth of the funnel and bottle securely with clay.
- Ask student to place a small hole through the mouth of the clay into the bottle.
- Students are then to fill up the funnel with water and observe what happens.
- Have children remove the clay from around the bottle and observe what happens.
Have an oral discussion of experiment and observations that students made. Questions and comments will be addressed at this point in time.