Principles of touch as they relate to massage therapy
Establishing Therapeutic Touch
- Get yourself into a good psycho-emotional state before establishing contact
- Warm hands before establishing body contact
- Establish touch within safe boundaries of body contact
- Body contact should be established using the full palmar surface of your hand
- Initial contact should be firm
- Massage should begin with holding, or slow massage strokes.
Maintaining Therapeutic Touch
- Stay relaxed. Maintain awareness of yourself in the massage
- Maintain awareness of your body mechanics
- Maintain contact with the client wherever possible.
- Keep the massage flowing and rhythmical
- Seek and respond to client feedback
Breaking Therapeutic Touch
- Indicate to the client that the massage is finishing by moving to more general, superficial strokes, and slowing down the speed of your massage strokes.
- Having a finishing ritual is another way to indicate to the client that the massage is finishing.
- Gradually remove your hands.
David McQuillan 2008