Principles of marketing/PMKT103/About
Course Name: Launching products and generating market demand (PMKT103)
In this course you'll learn the basics of branding products, promotion tools and digital marketing.
What will I learn?
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain product branding and its characteristics
- Identify the components of the distribution process, its complexities, pain points and opportunities for increasing sales
- Critically think about distribution channels for different products at different stages in their life cycle
- Explain product promotion and its characteristics
- Identify the key elements of a promotional strategy for a product at different stages in its life cycle
- Explain how guerrilla marketing can expand the reach and cost-effectiveness of a promotional campaign
- Explain digital marketing, social media and its strengths and weaknesses
- Identify the key elements of a digital marketing strategy for a product at different stages in its life cycle
- Explain how digital marketing can expand the reach and cost-effectiveness of a promotional campaign
- Discuss the implications of digital promotions and social media for marketing planning
There are four learning pathways each containing numerous resources, activities, and an assessment (for those seeking formal credit).
The learning pathways are:
- Orientation learning pathway (optional if you have already completed another OERu micro-course)
- Product branding and distribution channels
- Leveraging promotion tools and tactics
- The power of digital marketing
What prerequisites should I have, if any?
Anyone is free to participate in this course. An internet connection and basic web browsing skills are recommended with the ability to create a blog and microblog account (instructions and self-study tutorials provided.) You are requested to keep a personal learning journal as reflection has been shown to increase learning markedly.
You will need to be proficient in English language (reading, writing and listening) to participate successfully in this course.
This is one of three micro-courses which together make up the Principles of Marketing course. Each micro-course can be studied independently, but we recommend study in the following order because the later micro-courses draw to some extent on knowledge, skills and resources developed in the earlier ones:
|Micro-course number||Micro-course name and link|
|PMKT101||Core foundations of successful marketing|
|PMKT102||Marketing research and customer insights|
|PMKT103||Launching products and generating market demand|
All the micro-courses can be accessed and consulted freely online.
What assessment options do I have?
There are various options for assessment and certification of participation. Please refer to the Assesssment Overview for full information.