Peer Tutoring at Otago Polytechnic
How Does it work at Otago Polytechnic?
- Students apply to be a Peer Tutor and supply the name of a referee from their department. If the reference is suitable from the department, and there is a need for a tutor in this subject area, the student will be offered a position of Peer Tutor and must commence training.
- Letter of Appointment as a Peer Tutor is sent from The Human Resources Department
- Peer Tutors meet the Peer Tutoring Coordinator at the Learning Centre then enrol for the online Students Tutoring Students course called Peer tutoring on wikieducator.
- The Learning Centre matches Learners with Peer Tutors (according to subject areas, personality, suitability).
- Peer Tutors contact the student and arrange a place to meet for the first and subsequent tutoring sessions
- A record (journal) of all tutoring sessions is kept and submitted to the Learning Centre at regular intervals while tutoring.
- Timesheets are handed in to the Learning Centre fortnightly.
- The total hours of tutoring are to be arranged by the Learning Centre
Support meetings for Peer Tutors with the Learning Centre are held at notified times.