Olcos/USE open source tools
In this tutorial, we assist some teachers to choose an open source tool.
- Tom wants to start a wiki for the collaborative creation of learning materials about Hypatia of Alexandria.
- Susan wants to publish her lecturer notes.
- Peter creates open content with his learning management system.
- Dolores, a statistic teacher wants to install a repository system.
Why choosing open source tools?
"Open source describes the principles and methodologies to promote open access to the production and design process for various goods, products and resources. The term is most commonly applied to the source code of software that is made available to the general public with either relaxed or non-existent intellectual property restrictions. This allows users to create user-generated software content through either incremental individual effort, or collaboration." (Wikpedia "open source", 2007-02-15)
- You find a list of Open Source Software for the Education Market (edited bei Eduforge) with a collection of tools
- You can also take a look in our Exemplary Collection of Open Software Tools
Please note, that this tutorial is based upon the information at state 2007-02-15. It could be that the contents and links in this tutorial change, e.g. for technological changes. Please feel free to improve and correct or modify the contents.