OPTM6 Communication 1
- Directed Learning hours: 25
- Self Directed Learning hours: 25
- Total Learning Hours: 50
- This course aims to equip students with the basic skills for successful communication in a range of therapeutic situations, exploring aspects that affect interpersonal communication.
At the successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate competence in conducting, recording and critiquing an interview according to guidelines provided.
- Examine interpersonal communication patterns.
- Identify possible barriers to effective communication and strategies for overcoming these.
- Constructively evaluate their own interpersonal communication and that of their peers.
- The communication process
- Theoretical principles underlying interpersonal communication and rapport building.
- Factors influencing interpersonal communication.
- Communicating with people with communication difficulties.
- A range of communication skills including; attending/listening skills, reflecting, paraphrasing, open and closed questioning, giving and receiving feedback
- Interviews – planning, implementing and reporting on.
- Assertiveness skills
- Report writing.
Students are expected to attend 90% of practical classes. If in the opinion of the programme manager students have a valid reason for non-attendance, their total attendance may be permitted to drop to a minimum of 80%. Non-participation in these classes is treated as non-attendance. Students will be expected to engage with online discussions and activities and in some instances, participation may be required.
Students must achieve competency in all assessment tasks for completion of this course. Students attendance and participation must also comply with the attendance requirements of the course.
Student Reading List
Required Reading Resources:
- The course coordinator may require selected reading resources.
Recommended Reading Resources:
- The course coordinator may recommend selected reading resources.