OERu learner support/Help resources/Working on assignments
Working on assignments can be scary, especially if you haven't written one for a while or are new to tertiary study.
This page provides resources you will find useful to help you research, structure, draft and write your assignments.
- Essays and assignments
- Report writing
- Reflective practice
- Searching for information
- Literature Reviews
There is a lot of material that can be found on the web to assist you with academic English.
Below is a set of links which will act as a starting point. If you can't find what you need here, ask for help in the support or course forums.
Essays and assignments
- Essays (Otago Polytechnic)
- Essay Writing (Video) (Massey University)
- Assignments (Otago Polytechnic)
- Planning and Writing University Assignments (PDF) (Otago University Student Learning Centre)
- Writing for success (PDF) (Saylor)
- Reports (Otago Polytechnic)
- Report writing (Video) (Massey University)
- Business reports (Otago Polytechnic)
- Case study reports (Otago Polytechnic)
- [http://studentservices.op.ac.nz/learning-support/reflective-practice/ Reflective practice) (Otago Polytechnic)
- Reflective writing Three podcasts (Leeds Beckett University)
Searching for information
- Searching for information (Otago Polytechnic)
- 5 tips for better searching (Smithsonian Libraries)
- Searching on the Net (PDF) (Queensland University of Technology Library)
- Literature reviews What is it and how to undertake one.
- The literature review (Video) (Massey University)
- Literature review overview (RMIT)
- Doing a literature review (Video) (University of Reading)
- Annotated bibliographies (Otago Polytechnic)
- Citing and referencing (Otago Polytechnic)
- Zotero: a free personal research assistant that allows you to store reference information. It helps you collect, organise, cite, and share your research sources.
- Mendeley: allows you to organise, read and annotate documents in one place. You can import documents directly from the Web.