OERu/Planning/Technology working group/13 June 2014
Where: Hangout link
- Update on OCL4Ed snapshot
- Adapt Learning initiative - see demo
- Update (Jim USQ developments)
- newSplash quotation
- Community source
- Convener for next weekly meetup
Nice work on the OCL4Ed design update. The pulldown menus work well. I like the clustering of items- makes sense, more intuitive. I'm not 100% sure about the "Study" an "Courseware" labels - "lessons" and "learning resources" are probably more familiar? But i guess it dependson what you're used to. (Sarah Lambert)
- Thanks Sarah, those labels are customisable and easily changed by authors. --Mackiwg 02:37, 13 June 2014 (UTC)
- Attendance: Tim Klapdor, Tim McCallum, Sarah Lambert, Jim Tittsler and Wayne Mackintosh.
- Reviewed snapshot updates for the next OCL4Ed course starting on 18 June 2014.
- This instance will be run as a prototype for testing structural re-design of the course and the GSoC peer evaluation proof of concept.
- Will implement a registration solution for this prototype
- Wayne to finalise content pages before start of the course.
- Reviewed the Adapt Learning initiative.
- Group is of the opinion that many of the Adapt Learning features could be implemented using Bootstrap or similar framework.
- Will provide Adapt Learning as a resource link for the newSpash team
- Tech group are invited to add any features ideas to the request for quotation they particularly like from the Adapt Learning initiative we could hack for our Snapshot solution.
- Tim (USQ) noted that the work with Jim (USQ) in refining the SCAN page approach is progressing well. Tim (USQ) will code up the latest iteration aim to share outputs with the group, if all goes well within the next week.
- Wayne mentioned that this could also be used as a resource to help generate ideas for the newSplash development.
- Thanked Sarah again for her mock-ups on the graphic design for the OERu course site. We will include this as an example for the newSplash team.
- Jim (OERF) invited members of the Tech team who are available to join the catchup with our GSoC developer later today.
- Wayne confirmed the receipt of quotation from newSplash for the course site design project. This will be funded from Otago Polytechnic budget. Anticipated timeline for completion - 2 months.
- Jim (OERF) has made a start on the community source page which lists a number of ideas / small projects where assistance from OERu partners could accelerate implementations
- Wayne will approach one or two CIOs within the OERu network to explore opportunities to progress the OERu community source implementation
- Tim (USQ) suggested we explore alternatives to source Mediawiki expertise within the network eg the Mediawiki IRC
- Discussed ideas for lowering the barriers of entry to wiki editing for newbies. Implementing the Visual editor would help, but would not replace the need for programming-like skills to leverage the power of the Mediawiki engine. Discussed ideas for simplifying the authoring of templates using a form-based approach.
- Tim (CSU) offered to convene the next meeting scheduled for 27 June 2014.