OERu/Planning/OERu 2012 Prototype/Art Appreciation and Techniques/Complete development of course materials/Meeting notes

From WikiEducator
Jump to: navigation, search

Skype meeting 16 Mar 2013

Attendees: Irwin, Gail, Alison...via skype


  • where do learners store/share their responses
    • will be explained in guide/manual
  • add pages of links (Irwin & Gail)
  • consider adding micro-blogging questions later, with microblog feed on front page


  • should we provide weights for assignments so learners know how much effort to put in?
    • seems like we should do this...4th assignment is final and comprehensive
  • put assignments on separate pages....3 assignments and final assignment (Alison)
    • note assignments have parts...should come at certain times. Link to to these from pages and from studydesk.

Q&A questions

3 options: learners write answer in journal, learners type answer in answer box on page (but response is not kept), learners post a microblog post

  • implement answer box option if possible (Alison will check with Jim to see if we have this template)
  • explain this on guide/manual

Formatting issues

  • image positions
    • better to have images clearly connected to text, will make some pages with images centered below text to compare with placement on right and then compare at next meeting

Course guide/manual

  • Irwin and Gail will write this
  • how are assignments graded
  • include notes to students (work individually, or with a group...need to keep a record) and to institutions (about how the course works). Leave the course free of specifics that could vary among institutions

F-F work session

Gail & Irwin 6 Feb 2013

  • Learning activity, assessment grid developed (matched to course goals)

(will need to draft quiz questions for module learning outcomes)

Skype meeting 3 Feb 2013

Attendees: Irwin, Gail, Alison....via skype

Agenda consists of list of remaining tasks

Check for completion of all modules

  • another possible unit: the artistic principles (second half of unit 3 in saylor.og) - Gail will bring over pdf into module 3b

Add learning activities & Q+As - multiple audiences?

  • consider integration of open study tool
  • Irwin will lead effort to create grid of activities against units
  • Find out if Q&A's are the same as the quizzes - Alison will look around to find if there are separate quizzes

Add assignments/assessment

  • Gail will lead effort to design final assessments
    • consider creating 3-4 more substantial activities which could be submitted for assessment

Add quizzes if necessary

  • if these are separate from Q&A consider adding them

Add supplementary items (Student Manual, etc.)

  • Use first unit to introduce students to supp items
  • introductory material should include what to do if learner finds a dead link...revise the wiki? leave a discussion thread?
  • leave this to last

Timelines to complete

  • let's try to get the whole thing done, good enough, by end of Feb

Quality control (copy edit)

  • Alison has been qc'ing the text and will continue through the rest of the units
    • some dead links have been fixed
    • moving links to be images on the page
    • working to move language to be less US based
  • Professional editors will review once all pages, navigators, and activities are good enough

Resolve issues on pages

  • leave until last

ideas for the future

  • encourage students to provide examples of current artists in their part of the world, which could be an example of particular content.

Skype meeting 27 Sep 2012

Attendees: Irwin, Gail, Alison, via skype

Wide images

Jim created a template for viewing wide images. Suggestion to use the template on intro page to give some artistic flare

Jim I just saw this. Cool!!

How to break out larger units into cohesive structures

Irwin and Gail will investigate how to incorporate camera and 3-D

Creating the page structure

Alison will create page structure for later modules and will come back to unit 5 when the content is set.

Considering the changes in new page layout

Gail and Irwin will work on improving pages to

  • image placement and size
  • moving existing straight links to be images on the page or activities

Skype meeting 13 Aug 2012

Attendees: Irwin, Gail, Alison, via skype

Architecture and last 2 units

Gail will clean up the text files and add to wiki by Aug 24.

Adding images to later units

Gail will work on adding images to the later modules as provided in original.

Subpaging and navigation

Alison will create subpages and navigators for each module as they become available in the wiki.


Irwin will make a first cut on a coursewide blueprint grid of activities by Aug 24

Links to images and readings

We agreed to add a style guideline that we prefer including an image directly on the page rather than providing a link for the learner to open.

Alison will continue reviewing each of the pages, checking links along the way. When a hyperlink links to

  • an image, the exact or a similar image will be added to the page
  • a reading, the relevant text will be moved to an activity template (leaving a note that this is an added activity)

To ask Jim T.

  • is there a way to have a link open in a separate window/tab
  • is there some way to code for an image to be displayed on the page as a cropped image

Skype meeting June 5 2012

Wayne, Alison, Irwin

Via Skype

Course code and hashtag

* for microblogs etc., don’t need to use local university code
* #ART100, transparent, no one particular nomenclature at this point

Page naming

* get content up there to start
* need to keep history however
* use first effort as a stage without too much discussion
* lay out structure
* can see flow once put up as full modules first
* start with intro page with Learning Objectives, very brief overview
* then introductory content page
* 2 navigators on first page – big picture plus the individual course – can make two step one (not final concept yet – wait to see what it looks like)
* put each module as not under Art Appreciation but as standalone modules
* need to agree on format for Module end as well – summary, conclusion (wait till later)
* need to think about how course will look in different environments (LMS, print, etc.)
* main thing is not to have numbers in page titles

Learning design

* multiple tracks for learners:
* 1. working through for credit – need quizzes to prep for exams and portfolio
* 2. studying for own purposes and interests only
* 3. like 1. but wanting to do more beyond confines of course
* any of these may work either independently or with optional peer opportunities and tools
* split up templates so that they are separate for each track
* can make our own templates (pedagogical) – maybe get artists involved more in design scheme – pleasing to look at (less iconish—more down the road) – nothing special needed for group 2
* can manipulate CSS through course later for look and feel

  • 2 groups visually identifiable but want to make use of their efforts
    * microblog activities for all (regardless of track) – maximize their engagement
    * write up tracks in course guide – requirements for each
    * create all pedagogical templates – name themwhatever
    * for portfolio we will use generic reference to blog or wiki – don’t need formal portfolio – need to inform about public versus private – then only link needed to send in for portfolio analysis
    * need generic OERu learner support for how to use – learner choice as to public/private

LMSs or WE for delivery

* could envision both learning from WE and from LMS 30-40% of students prefer both
* for OERu – could set up in Moodle
* some partners have concerns about changes to content – so will create mirrored instances for them
* will get OERu SSL certificate
* Twitter content issue still not clarified (noone can store tweets)
* have them use Identica for this course in place possibly
* can pull in any API we want for live feed


* need all communication in one place
* set up dynamic wikinotes feed – pull in all information related to the course
* live summary feed of what is happening
* db in cloud –harvests communications – then pulls back in (e.g. via hashtag)
* rudimentary analytics –
* newsletter as prompt to look at feeds
* capability/maturity thing
* in WE – if people agree they don’t say anything

AVI process

* at this stage – keep generic as possible for prototypes – Askbot engine for now – biggest part of the AVI engine
* USQ course will have assigned volunteers
* not be a critical requirement for all partners
* consider having a community learning course where learners provide academic support and earn community service credits

Other courses

* modeling pages from AST 1000
* see study desk – layout and schedule
* stay with copyleft
* default to wiki generic copyright where possible


* Wayne going step by step with every decision
* review course guide for decisions
* next step is representative sample of course materials (exemplars)

Question Bot

* Wayne making pedagogical template
* include in ask questions or contribute answer
* tutorials on how to do this – seeding the first database