OERu/OERu 15.10 Meeting/Group 2 Planning the first year of study
- 1 Context
- 2 What steps are required to bring the existing 1st year nominations to minimum viable product status
- 3 What steps are required to achieve and complete the programme specification for the 1st year of study?
- 4 What steps are required to identify, assemble and prepare courses for delivery for the 1st year of study?
- 5 What are the operational priorities for 2016 and related KPIs for achieving the 1st year of study?
- 6 Recommendations to be tabled at the CEOs meeting?
Wayne Mackintosh to summarise on behalf of the Curriculum and Programme of Study working group
- We have a smorgasbord board of 50+ course nominations but are clearly lacking in sufficient product for the first year of study.
- 30% of these nominations are earmarked for two programmes with corresponding exit credentials (Diploma in Tertiary Education and the Postgraduate Diploma in Disaster Risk Studies.)
- 10% (5 courses) are 2nd year level
- 14% (7 courses) are 3rd year level
- 14% (7 courses) are 1st year nominations
- The remainder are "boutique" or pre-university courses
- David porter recommends that minimum viable product (MVP) demonstrating an end-to-end process requires:
- 5 to 10 exemplar courses
- Completed by a target date (eg June 2016)
- Hosted on a common platform
- Available from one location (OERu.org)
- From which students can participate,
- And on completion could be directed to OERu institutions providing assessment,
- Where they could achieve a credit-based assessment
- Towards transcript credit that would be awarded, badged and recognised towards an exit credential.
- We have prototyped, trialled and tested a collaborative authoring approach and high-level structure to produce professional mobile responsive content that can be integrated into the majority of learning management systems in the OERu network.
- Micro courses are recommended to facilitate virtual mobility and reuse.
- Critical path requirements - Ideally:
- The course nomination (or set of micro courses) must be available for assessment and transcript credit at a minimum of one OERu parter.
- The set of courses in the MVP must be able to articulate to at least one exit credential through credit transfer or assessment services / challenge for credit for all courses in the MVP set at a minimum of one partner.
What steps are required to bring the existing 1st year nominations to minimum viable product status
- C Programming 101 (IT Sligo)
- International relations in Asia and the Pacific (USQ)
- Art Appreciation and Techniques (TRU)
- Introduction to sustainable practice (Otago Poly)
- Atmosphere weather and climate (UHI)
- Geography tourism and sustainability (UHI)
- Introduction to Psychology 1 (KPU)
What steps are required to achieve and complete the programme specification for the 1st year of study?
- Identify which institutions in the network can offer an award for the 1st year of study
- Establish the course requirements for the award
- Establish how existing 1st year courses fit the identified awards
- Agreed to use the existing OERF platform
- Agree to develop a full year