Individuals are free to learn from OER hosted on the open web. The OER for Assessment and Credit for Students Project
will provide opportunities for these OER learners who are interested in earning formal academic credit for their learning. This project will contribute to the design and development of the OER university
(now OER universitas
This OER initiative will align with the community service and outreach missions of the formal education sector. Through our community service mission we will open pathways for OER learners to earn formal academic credit and pay reduced fees for assessment and credit. In this way the OER movement can contribute to addressing the global demand for higher education where traditional delivery models are unable to respond to the need for post-secondary education.
What we aim to achieve
|This project aims to:
- Collaboratively develop:
- a logic model including inputs, activities, outputs and impact framework for the initiative;
- a project and implementation plan derived from the logic model.
- Implement one or more credentials based on OER resources for piloting and refining the model across multiple institutions.
- Build a network of formal education education institutions, OER agencies, governments and international agencies to contribute to the incremental development and refinement of the OER university thus nurturing the evolution of a sustainable international OER ecosystem.
What people are saying - Blogs about OERu
Failed to load RSS feed from http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?_id=b220ebe8da1f76bc464fd57f5df11b8b&_render=rss|max=10|short|date: Error fetching URL: Could not resolve host: pipes.yahoo.com
News and announcements
Towards an OER university: Free learning for all students worldwide
. UNESCO and the OER Foundation announce a strategic international meeting to be hosted in Dunedin on 23 February to commence planning for the provision of free learning to all students worldwide. Support from UNESCO to stream the meeting will allow the participation of education leaders from around the globe. Read more ...
UNESCO will sponsor a live web stream of the planning meeting
. Register now
as a remote participant, download the poster
and spread the word among colleagues and friends. Let's build sustainable OER futures together!
- Online university discussions begin., Samoa observer, 26 February 2011.
- New uni to bring classes to the masses, Northern Weekly, Melbourne, Australia. 21 February 2011.
- Channel 9 News, Dunedin, New Zealand. 21 February 2011.
- University of Southern Queensland plan for free online university, The Australian, 16 February 2011.
- Plan for online university, Otago Daily Times, 12 February 2011.
- From where I sit: Everyone wins in this free for all. Times Higher Education, London, 10 February 2011.
- OER university to cut cost of degree, in Times Higher Education, London, 10 February 2011.
- Designing assessment and credit pathways for open education learners, Creative Commons, 9 February 2011.
- Towards an OER university: Free learning for all students worldwide, UNESCO press release, 8 February 2011.
Identi.ca #oeru Feed
|Sorry, Identi.ca is no longer available.
Discussion list feed
Join the OERu group.
- OERu international meeting next week - participate virtually to help shape our futures
- Hi everyone The OERu is a radically open and transparent organisation. We will provide a live stream of the plenary sessions of the 2018 OERu international partners' meeting which will take pla...
- — Wayne Mackintosh 2018-11-02 08:38:47
- Research on the OERu's approach to open education and its organizational culture
- Dear members of the OERu community, I am conducting a case study to examine the practices involved in open education at the OERu with a focus on instructional design. The case study includes an eth...
- — Dan Dubien 2018-05-08 23:48:23
- OERu's Digital Citizenship micro-course goes live in a week
- Hi everyone, The inaugural offering of Digital Citizenship (LiDA102) - a free online micro-course starts on 4 April 2018. Prospective participants can register online to receive course instructions...
- — Wayne Mackintosh 2018-03-27 06:01:50
- Registration open for free Digital Citizenship course and new OERu social media platform
- Hi everyone. A brief update on OERu news (with apology for any cross postings) Digital citizenship micro-course The OERu's free Digital Citizenship (LiDA102) micro-course goes live on 4 April 2...
- — Wayne Mackintosh 2018-03-20 02:12:01
- The OERu's Learning in a Digital Age course starts this week
- Hi everyone, Just a quick reminder that the inaugural offering of the OERu’s Learning in a Digital Age open online course starts this week on 14 March 2018. We have participants from +50 countrie...
- — Wayne Mackintosh 2018-03-11 06:10:58
- Chang School at Ryerson University becomes OERu's 1st university partner from Ontario
- Hi everyone Excited to announce that The G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education at Ryerson University has joined OERu becoming the first teaching institution from Ontario, Canada to join t...
- — Wayne Mackintosh 2017-11-08 02:25:33
- Saylor Academy joins forces with OERu
- We're pleased to announce this recent addition to our international network. The Saylor Academy is a pioneer of open education and is a compelling addition to our global network, widening acces...
- — Wayne Mackintosh 2017-11-01 01:26:18
- Reminder: OERu International Partners meeting - Remote participants welcome!
- Hi everyone, Just a brief reminder. The 6th international meeting of OERu partners will be held in Toronto on 12 and 13 October 2017. We are focusing on the implementation of our OER 1st year of st...
- — Wayne Mackintosh 2017-10-07 21:59:42
- OERu 6th international meeting - Virtual participants welcome
- Hi everyone, The OERu 6th international meeting of partners will be held in Toronto on 12 and 13 October 2017. We are focusing on the implementation of our OER 1st year of study. True to our philos...
- — Wayne Mackintosh 2017-10-01 22:42:30
- OERu to launch micro-credentials with pathways to formal credit
- As the OERu prepares for the launch of our 1st year of study, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Edubits. This will enable the OERu to offer micro-credentials with pathways to achievin...
- — Wayne Mackintosh 2017-09-09 00:53:25
- Virtual participant registrations for 5th International meeting of OERu partners
- Hi Everyone. The 5th international meeting of OERu partners will be hosted by the University of the Highlands and Islands, 3 - 4 October 2016 in Inverness, Scotland. This meeting will focus on plan...
- — Wayne Mackintosh 2016-09-22 09:31:19
- Meet Swinburne University of Technology - OERu's newest partner
- Hi everyone, Good advice from Prof Mike Keppel, PVC (Learning Transformations) at Swinburne University of Technology - our newest OERu partner: "It’s important for the future of OER that we...
- — Wayne Mackintosh 2016-09-22 08:29:36
- Creating sustainable futures course prototype for OERu 1st year of study.
- Hi everyone, We have completed the four micro courses for the Creating Sustainable Futures course which is one of the options listed for the OERu 1st year of study. The OERF in collaboration with O...
- — Wayne Mackintosh 2016-07-21 02:08:51
- OERu 2016 mid-year report
- Hi everyone (Apology for any duplicate posts) We distributed the OERu 2016 mid-year report to the Vice Chancellors, Presidents and CEOs of the OERu network earlier this week. FYI: I have posted a c...
- — Wayne Mackintosh 2016-07-05 23:10:02
- The "Other fifty weeks" podcast - chatting about OERu a little unplugged
- The Adrian Stagg at the University of Southern Queensland is coordinating a new podcast initiative called "The other fifty weeks" aimed at continuing the open discussion outside of open e...
- — Wayne Mackintosh 2016-06-02 05:18:58