Navigation skills using a browser
People credited with this unit standard are able to: launch and close a web browser and use browser controls; use search engines; and use webpage hyperlinks.
Courses that use this topic
Launch and close a web browser and use browser controls
- Browser is launched allowing access to the web.
- URL is entered and the webpage is opened.
- Browser controls are used to navigate between webpages.
Range: may include but is not limited to - forward and back, home, stop, search, favourites/bookmarks, history. Evidence of five is required.
- Webpage content is saved.
Range: content is printed, content is saved to file
- Browser is closed.
Use search engines
- Search engines appropriate to the search topic are selected and opened.
Range: may include but is not limited to - local search engines, global search engines.
- Query is formulated and entered.
Range: simple search query - single word, phrase; advanced search - search engine advanced searching options, use of the Boolean operators AND, OR, NOT.
- Hits relevant to the search query are determined and opened.
Range: at least three hits opened.
- Hyperlinks are identified on a webpage.
Range: highlighted text, pictures, email addresses.
- Hyperlink is opened.
Range: hyperlink linking within a website or webpage, hyperlink linking between websites.
- This unit standard may be assessed using any personal computer with either dial up or permanent Internet connection, or any computer running on an intranet. In the case of a dial up connection, establishing a connection is not a skill covered by this unit standard.
- If an intranet is used, the web server must be configured to provide all the necessary resources for this standard - eg search engines.
- A search is the use of a search engine to locate resources on a web.
- Local search engine is any search engine intentionally limited in search range to a specific locality or topic, or is specific to a website.
- Global search engine is any search engine not limited by locality, topic, or website.
- Webpage content is any picture or text on a webpage or, in the case of saving to file, includes any downloadable file available on the webpage.
- An intranet is a web server running on an internal network.