Teachers: Ms. Simone Johnson & Mrs. Michelle Blackwell-Jobe
School: Guaico Government Secondary
Class: Form 2
Duration: 80 Minutes
Target Group: Slow Learners
Duration of Lesson: 80 minutes
- Concept of natural resources introduced in Regional Co-operation
- Identification of main resources of CARICOM States.
|At the end of this lesson, students will be able to;
- define key concepts such as natural/physical resources, renewable resources, non-renewable resources and sustainable development.
- differentiate between renewable and non-renewable resources.
- identify the uses and misuses of forests.
- examine the importance of conserving our forests in terms of sustainable development.
Students are asked to point out objects in their immediate environment that are products of the forests.
- Interactive Social Studies Form 2 Focus by R.Ramsawak, S.Jodha & G.Gangapersad
- Colour Pencils
- Drawing Books
Examine the role of the forest.
- promote rainfall
- prevents soil erosion
- prevents flooding
- maintains the composition of the atmosphere
- reduces noise pollution
- provides wind protection
- a source of medical remedies
- provides a variety of recreational and tourism activities
Discuss the indiscriminate destruction of the forests.
- Forest Fires
- Excessive Logging
- Deforestation for industrial purposes
Reducing emissions from deforestation
Identify methods of conserving the forests.
- Controlled cutting of trees
- Establishment of forest reserves
- Education drives
- Strict laws and penalties
- Draw and colour a forest showing a section that is protected and another section that is being over-exploited.
- Identify the forested areas on a map of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Discuss what life would be like, without forests.
- Stage 1- Divide the class into the following groups:
- Uses of Forests
- Misuses of Forests
- Conservation of Forests
- Stage 2- Each group must give a two minute presentation on the assigned topic.
- Students will be marked on their presentations.
- Provide feedback on group presentations, giving tips for improvement.
- Clarify problem areas on forests as a natural resource, identified by the students.
- Collect 3 pictures of uses, 3 pictures of misuses and 3 pictures of conservation methods of the forests.