My Contributions - An introductory lesson on Internet
This page is designed with the aim that users can learn about the basic concepts involved in the Internet (World Wide Web, Hyperlinks, Back button). While visiting this page if you have any suggestions you are most welcome. You can Email me.
At the end of this topic Users will learn about:
The user is expected to be familiar with computers to be able to understand the concept of Internet.
What is the Internet
The Internet is a huge collection of computers around the world.
These computers are all linked together, and they can "talk" to each other, sharing information.
If your computer is connected to the Internet, it can connect to millions of other computers, in many different parts of the world.
What can you do on the Internet
- You can send electronic letters to people.
- You can read pages on the World Wide Web.
- You can play games with people on the other side of the world.
- You can chat to people.
- You can even buy things on the Internet and have them delivered to your house!
What is the World Wide Web?
The World Wide Web is a part of the Internet.
It is a collection of millions of pages of information. This information can be about anything:
Sport, Animals, Children, Places, Games, Food, History, People, Jokes, Television, School, Computers, Films, Music, Shopping.
How do you move around the World Wide Web?
The pages on the World Wide Web are all linked so that you can move around them.
The pages are linked together using Hyperlinks. Remember these three rules:
- A hyperlink is usually coloured in blue and underlined
(although they can be lots of different colours sometimes!)
- If you move your mouse over a hyperlink,it will change to the shape of a hand.
- If you click on a hyperlink, you will go to a different page.
One of the words below is a hyperlink...
When you have found it, click on it, and you will go to the next page.
1) Write down two things which you can do on the Internet
b) A hyperlink is usually underlined and coloured in blue.
c) If you click on a hyperlink, your computer will close down.
d) If you move your mouse over a hyperlink, it will change to the shape of a hand.
e) A hyperlink is usually in bold and coloured in green.
f) If you click on a hyperlink, you will go to a different page on the World Wide Web.