Montessori Maths: Direct Preparation
Number Rods - Learning Numbers 0 - 10
This activity is the child's first experience with a fixed quantity.
The purpose of this material is to learn the quantity of numbers 1 - 10, to learn the names of numbers 1 - 10, to associate the names with the quatities (tally counting), to learn that there is a relationship between numbers 1 - 10, to show that each number is a composite of other numbers. Also it is indirect preparation for the decimal system.
- Invite a child to roll out a floor mat
- Go to the shelf where the number rods are stored, and beginning with the shortest one, carry them to the mat one at a time.
- As each successive rod is placed on the mat a stair is formed
- Proceed to teach the names using the Three Period Lesson
- Place the One-Rod in front of the child and name it. "This is the rod of One." Ask the child to repeat its name.
- Place the Two-Rod in front of the child and name it. "This is the rod of Two.'
- Count it while touching each section and say, "One, Two." Ask the child to count it.
- Place the Three rod in front of the child and name it. "This is he rod of Three.'
- Count it while touching each section anad say, "One, Two, Three." Ask the child to count it.
- Complete the presention using the standard Three Period Name Lesson, ("this is, "show me", "what is") ensuring that the child counts the rods before she provides the correct name.
- Always end your lesson by returning the Rods to the stair formation.
- On another day, begin by reviewing the Rods you have already taught.
- Introduce more rods in the previously described way.
- Return Rods to their correct place, in proper order.