TIPS FOR TUTORS
• Students may need many practice exercises.
• Repetition drills are valuable for helping students memorise necessary facts, eg spelling and mathematic tables.
• Review previous lessons.
• Make sure students fully understand the concepts you have been explaining before going on to the next concept.
• Never embarrass students by asking them to perform tasks for which they are not prepared.
• Teach at the student’s level.
• Explain the lesson clearly and simply.
• If the student finds the material difficult, break it down. Explain it, step by step, and check with the student to make sure each step is understood.
• Use language that can be understood by the student: avoid difficult words.
• Plan your lesson; have attainable goals.
• Praise student for each task achieved.