LESSON FIVE - SEARCH, SECURITY, COMPUTER VIRUS & HELP
5.1 - Finding Files or Folders
The computer files and folders stored in your storage disks can be stored in folders where the folders can also be in other folders or sub-directory. Therefore, the process of finding certain file can be a headache. Windows operating system allows you to solve this problem. You command Windows to search for the file you want by typing its filename and it returns the files that closely match the filename you typed.
We want to search for the files that we store/save on the computer.
- Click on the start button and go to Search, then click All Files/Folders.
- In the Name text box you type the file name of the file that you want to search, which is my first file.
- In the look in text box, you click on it’s enlist arrow to select the drive or folder that you want to look /in to find the file. Our file is in the hard disk, so select the
- Click the find now button to start the search.
- The search should display a copy of this file in the office folder.
5.2 - Security Systems
Security features are installed into most computer systems. System Security is required to prevent unauthorized access to both the machines, and the data retained in the machines. Everybody does important work that they are required to complete in a specified period of time. Everybody does work that can be destroyed (either accidentally or intentionally). Some people do work that is confidential. Personnel, Budget, and Accounts matters can be very sensitive. The data files that relate to these functions should be protected, so that only the people who work with this data have access to this data. Security is put in place for the protection of every person working with the equipment. If you do not have access to a particular machine, you can not be blamed for any problems that occurs with that machine You should not ask for another person’s password. You should not give your password to another person. Your password is for your protection, and for the protection of everyone else that works with you. If you do give your password to another person, make sure your password is changed once the other person no longer needs it.
We are going to protect your data not the machine.
- Open my first file from the Practical folder.
- Click file on the menu bar select Save As you should have Save As dialogue box.
- On the Save as dialogue box top right select tools and general/security option from the drop menu.
- Type your password (any words, numbers you can easily remember) in the text box title “Password to open” and click Ok, confirm your password by typing the same password in the pop up box and click OK then Save.
- Check your document it is now protected, by close it and open it again.
5.3 - Computer Virus
Computer viruses are programs that are created to destroy other programs or data files. Viruses are distributed from one PC to another through the sharing of disks or over a computer network environment.
If your disk is infected with a computer virus, you need to use virus cleaner- computer software that cleans the disk and rids it of the virus. A virus cleaner that we’ll be using is the Norton antivirus or Clamwin
Follow the following steps to remove a virus from your disk.
- Insert your floppy disk into the floppy drive.
- Double-click on My Computer icon on the desktop. Locate the 3 ½ Floppy Disk icon and right- mouse click on it. A drop-down menu should appear. Select Scan with Norton or Clamwin Antivirus, automatically it will do the scanning then click finish button when it stop scanning.
5.4 - Help and Support
The windows XP HELP and SUPPORT option is a quick way to find information about commands features. Windows operating system has its own help facility and other applications software on windows have their own help systems. The information help displays will vary with the application you are using.
To view the help and support, click on start and select Help and Support.