Index.php?title=OERuESP1/Elite Sports Performance: Psychological Perspectives
Elite sport features significantly in the lives of huge numbers of people around the world, while the global sport market is estimated to be worth in excess of $500 billion dollars a year and growing steadily . Understanding and influencing psychological aspects of sport performance represents a complex and intriguing challenge. This open online micro-course provides a foundation level experience of theories that explain the impact of psychological factors on sport behaviour, and exposure to performance enhancement strategies that are commonly applied in the elite sport environment. It seeks to provide a foundation for further study of the theory and practices of sport psychology.
Upon successful completion of this 40-hour course, students will be able to:
- Explain how psychological factors influence sport performance;
- Outline psychological strategies that are used to enhance sport performance;
- Use digital tools to research, analyse and present information related to psychological perspectives of elite sport performance.
• Students who wish to develop their interest in the psychology of elite sport, perhaps with a view to pursuing further formal study in the area;
• Existing practitioners in the world of sport who wish to enhance their knowledge and understanding of sport psychology;
• Others who seek to extend their knowledge and understanding of sport psychology.
This micro-course is designed to take approximately 40 hours to complete. It is divided into two segments of 5 hours each and two segments of 15 hours each. Those who wish to be assessed for course credit will complete two assignments. Assessment will be charged on a cost recovery basis.