Heart and Circulation Test Yourself Answers
1. Via what vessel does blood enter the heart from the body?
- Blood enter the heart from the body via the cranial and caudal vena cavae.
2. Blood passing through the right atrioventricular valve passes into which chamber of the heart?
- Into the right ventricle.
3. What is the function of the pulmonary valve?
- The pulmonary valve prevents backflow of blood from the pulmonary artery into the right ventricle.
4. Does the pulmonary artery carry deoxygenated or oxygenated blood?
- The pulmonary artery carries deoxygenated blood.
5. The walls of the heart are made of what tissue?
- The walls of the heart are made of cardiac muscle.
6. Does the aorta carry deoxygenated or oxygenated blood?
- The aorta carries oxygenated blood.
7. Does the pulse pass down arteries or veins?
- The pulse passes down arteries.
8. Give 2 other differences between arteries and veins. Arteries have thicker walls than veins. Veins have valves to prevent backflow of blood.
9. What is systole?
- Systole is the period when the ventricles are contracting and sending a wave of high-pressure blood (the pulse) along the aorta and arteries of the body.
10. Circle the correct answer below. Blood flows by this route through the blood vessels of the body.
- b) heart | arteries | capillaries | veins | heart
11. Name the vessel that carries blood:
- from the heart to the main organs of the body:aorta
- from the aorta to the brain: carotid artery
- from the aorta to the kidneys: renal artery
- from the intestines to the liver: hepatic portal vessel
- from the aorta to the heart muscle: coronary artery