GMHVS 2013/GMHVS 2013 Course Pre-Reading
- In preparation for the vacation school program we strongly recommend that you take the opportunity to explore and understand the broad spectrum of mental health services and alcohol and drug services available in Victoria.
- This page has been designed to guide you to resources that will assist you with this endeavour by providing you with links to some background information regarding the range and scope mental health and alcohol and drug services provided in Victoria.
- Please be aware that this information may not be totally up to date as there tends to be a lag between the implementation of new programs and service improvement initiatives and access to information about these initiatives.
- We hope this information has been of interest.
Mental Health Services in Australia
- The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) maintains a 'Mental Health Services in Australia' web site. The site provides access to information including background to mental health services in Australia, information about mental health services, a range of resources and service utilisation data. We recommend that you read the ‘Background’ and ‘National Polices’ sections of the site.
- Web-site: http://mhsa.aihw.gov.au/home/
- The federal government funds mental health and alcohol and drug services through a number of government departments. Please use the links below to gain an indication of the range of programs funded by the commonwealth government. We suggest that you take particular note of the programs funded through the Department of Health and Aging and the Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs.
- Web-site: http://www.health.gov.au/
Department of Health and Aging (DoHA)- Policy
- Mental health policy information.
- Web-site: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/Mental+Health+and+Wellbeing-1
Department of Health and Aging (DoHA) – mental health programs
- We recommend that you look at the following program areas: 'Access to Allied Psychological Services'; 'Better Access to Psychiatrists, Psychologists and General Practitioners'; 'Better Outcomes in Mental Health'; 'headspace'; 'Mental Health Nurse Incentive Program'; 'Mental Health Professional Network'; 'Partners in Recovery'.
- Web-site: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/mental-progs
Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FaHCSIA)
- Mental health programs. (We recommend that you read about: Personal Helpers and Mentors; Mental Health Respite: Carers Support; and Family Mental Health Support Services).
- Web-site: http://www.fahcsia.gov.au/our-responsibilities/mental-health/programs-services
Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) – Mental Health Programs
- We recommend that you look at the 'At Ease' web site.
- Web-site: http://www.dva.gov.au/health_and_wellbeing/mental_health/Pages/index.aspx
State Government – Victoria
- The documents attached to this email provide an overview of how mental health services and alcohol and drug services are provided in Victoria.
- Web-site: http://www.health.vic.gov.au/
Victoria’s Mental Health Services
- Take note of the 'Mental Health Reform in Victoria' information.
- Web-site: http://www.health.vic.gov.au/mentalhealth/
Accessing Mental Health Services
- Use the links to locate the services located in Gippsland.
- Web-site: http://www.health.vic.gov.au/mentalhealth/services/index.htm
Careers in mental health
Alcohol and other drug services in Victoria
- Take note of the 'New directions for alcohol and drug treatment: a road map - June 2012'.
- Web-site: http://www.health.vic.gov.au/aod/index.htm
About drug treatment services
- Read through all the types of treatment service.
- Web-site: http://www.health.vic.gov.au/aod/about/index.htm
- Use the search facility to locate alcohol and drug services in the following post codes: 3875 and 3821.
- Web-site: http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/services_and_support?open
Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
- Web-site: http://www.education.vic.gov.au
Student Support Services
- Use the 'Support in Schools' link to explore the service further.
- Web-site: http://www.education.vic.gov.au/school/students/support/Pages/supportservices.aspx
Child Health and Wellbeing
- Explore some of areas such as 'Student Behaviour and Bullying'.
- Web-site: http://www.education.vic.gov.au/school/parents/health/Pages/default.aspx
Early Childhood Intervention Services
- Read about 'ECIS and ECIS Reform'.
- Web-site: http://www.education.vic.gov.au/childhood/providers/needs/Pages/ecis.aspx
Integrated Children’s Services