FORMAT TO SUBMIT PROPOSALS OF CASE STUDIES
ANNEX 1 – FORMAT TO SUBMIT PROPOSALS OF CASE STUDIES
Please fill in and send to: Dr. Estelle Biénabe, CIRAD / University of Pretoria, South Africa (email@example.com), or Dr. Lucian Peppelenbos, KIT, The Netherlands (L.Peppelenbos@kit.nl), or Dr. Julio A. Berdegué, Rimisp, Chile (firstname.lastname@example.org)
A. THE CASE STUDY (maximum 4 pages)
Please make sure to highlight the merits of the case study – What does this case study contribute to understanding the issues that are central in the Regoverning Markets programme? While we seek experiences that offer unique opportunities for learning, we also want to avoid cases which are so extraordinary that it is unlikely that they can be replicated.
1. Background information – Please describe the place and country, the main characteristics of the small-scale producers or the rural SMEs, and the main characteristics of the supply chain in which they operate.
2. The innovation – Please describe the innovation that will be the subject of the case study. The innovation can be of the following types: public policy, private sector business models, collective action by small-scale producers and rural SMEs, or strategies and methods of development agencies. Please inform when the innovation was initiated.
3. The market and its supply chain – Please provide information to allow us to understand the market context of the innovation. In particular, we would like to understand the degree of market restructuring through some indication of the use of private grades and standards, centralized distribution centres with or without modern logistics, specialized and dedicated wholesalers, and/or longer term relationships with preferred suppliers.
4. Forms of inclusion – Please provide information to allow us to understand what are the specific forms in which the small-scale holders or rural SMEs are included in the restructured market: As individual suppliers of primary products? As organized suppliers of primary products? As specialized suppliers of food processors or retailers on the basis of different types of value-adding activities? As co-owner of a supply chain or of one of its segments?
B. THE ORGANIZATION(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CASE STUDY
1. Basic information of the leading organization – Please provide the full name and acronym of the organization that will be responsible (leader) for the case study, the name and title of a contact person, postal address, telephone and fax numbers (including country and city codes), emails and web page if available.
2. Basic information of other (partner) organizations participating in the case study - Please provide the full name and acronym of other organizations that will participate the case study, their postal address, telephone and fax numbers (including country and city codes), emails and web page if available. Please describe the established contacts with key stakeholders and their willingness to cooperate in the study.
3. Experience and capacity of the leading organization in conducting applied research, case study research, and/or action research – Convince us that the leading organization is well qualified to do high quality case study work! Describe its most important projects and activities in the past years that are relevant to Regoverning Markets programme. Inform us of its publications and its human resources. Very importantly, tell us about its networks and relationships with organizations in the public and private sector as well as in civil society.
4. The project leader and key team members – Please attach the curricula vitae of the person who will be the leader of the case study and of other important team members.