Evolution of computer technology
Your assignment here is to research one of the questions below and, in your own words below the question, provide an answer in one or two sentences. When you're done, email your instructor a copy of the link to your answer.
- 1 What was the very first computer ever used by humans?
- 2 What was the first electronic computer?
- 3 What was the first microcomputer or home computer?
- 4 What is a minicomputer?
- 5 What is a mainframe computer?
- 6 How do the minicomputer and mainframe compare to today's modern computer?
- 7 What are some of the types of modern computers?
- 8 What's in store for the future of computing?
What was the very first computer ever used by humans?
The Antikythera Mechanism was a portable clockwork computer used to model the movements of the Sun, moon and planets. It was from around the first or second century BC http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2009/07/jo-marchant-consultant-from-sw.html
What was the first electronic computer?
John Atanasoff a Professor, and Clifford Berry a Graduate student from Iowa State University. Built the first electronic computer, built between 1939 and 1942.
What was the first microcomputer or home computer?
1974 was the first micro computer available for computers in home, at work, in educational establishments. There were micro computers around well before that but were large and expensive and were only available to governments and industry w
What is a minicomputer?
A minicomputer is a powerful computer from the 60's and 70's. There is a difference from today’s to the old ones. Well today’s is more powerful from back then. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minicomputer
What is a mainframe computer?
How do the minicomputer and mainframe compare to today's modern computer?
What are some of the types of modern computers?
What's in store for the future of computing?
Return to Intermediate Computer Studies.