Digital skills for collaborative OER development/Course description
- Course name: Digital Skills for Collaborative OER Development
This is a hands-on course where you will learn and demonstrate your skills in using digital technologies for collaborative OER development, culminating in the development of an OER learning sequence to be published on the open web.
- Notional learning hours: 40 to 50 hours
- Duration: 3 weeks, 10 hours per week
- Assessment: 10 hours
- Formal credit option: Yes
- Course: One of four micro courses for the Open Educational Practice course elective
- Credential: Graduate Diploma in Tertiary Education
- Level: 3rd year Bachelor Degree
What's it about?
OER is about remix, open collaboration and cooperation. This requires digital skills in using collaborative development software and knowledge about the processes and culture of open design and development. Open educators need to develop skills in finding suitable OER and open access materials and master the art of remixing resources to build meaningful learning experiences. In this couse we will show you how.
What will I learn?
In this course you will learn how to:
- Source OER images, rich media and open access materials on the Internet suitable for remix.
- Properly attribute these resources for digital redistribution.
- Develop wiki skills for the collaborative development of OER within a live international wiki community.
- Develop a design blueprint and storyboard for an OER learning sequence drawing on your inventory of OER for remix of materials for your own context.
- Participate in open collaboration design and development activities.
- Publish your own OER course website.
Learners will join an international community of educators interested in cooperative development of OER courses. This is a work-based-learning experience where you will work on your own courses experiencing the tools and approaches used by the international OERu network of universities, community colleges and polytechnics.
The course will be offered as a micro open online course comprising a number of tutorials and designated learning challenges leading to the development of storyboard for learning design and design blueprint. Learners will develop and publish an OER learning sequence on your own website to support learners in your own context.
What prerequisites should I have, if any?
Anyone is free to participate in this course. An internet connection and basic web browsing skills are recommended with the ability to create a blog and microblog account (instructions and self-study tutorials provided.) We recommend that learners have knowledge of OER and open content licensing.
Learners aiming to submit assessments for formal academic credit will need to meet the normal university admission requirements of the conferring institution (e.g., language proficiency and school leaving certificates). Learners aiming for the 3rd year Bachelor level are advised to have completed the majority of their 2nd year level subjects to have sufficient capability and experience for preparing assignments for 3rd year level of Bachelor study.