Data communication deals with the transmission of signals in a reliable and efficient manner. The fundamental purpose of a communications system is the exchange of data between two parties. Below is a diagram showing the Components of a communication model.
Simplified Communications Model
- Source– this device generates the data to be transmitted eg telephones and personal computers
- Transmitter – transforms and encodes the information in such a way as to produce electromagnetic signals that can be transmitted across some sort of transmission system eg a modem
- Transmission system – can be a single transmission line or a complex network connecting source and destination.
- Receiver – accepts the signal from the transmission system and converts it into a form that can be handled by the destination device
- Destination – takes the incoming data from the receiver
KEY TASKS THAT MUST BE PERFORMED IN A DATA COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEM
- Transmission System Utilization
- Signal Generation
- Exchange Management
- Error detection and correction
- Addressing and routing
- Message formatting
- Network Management