The Computer Science Department is one of the newly-created departments in the School of Applied Sciences and Technology. Accreditation was secured from the National Accreditation Board in December, 2005 to run the Higher National Diploma (HND) Computer Science and HND Computer Network Management.
To provide students excellent academic and professional training in Information and Communication Technology to meet the skilled manpower needs for development and efficient management of organizations.
A modern Information and Communication Technology (ICT) centre is set up to make global information available and easily accessible to students and staff of the Polytechnic. In addition, the Broad Band Satellite Internet Facility is a catalyst for the introduction a Bachelor of Technology degree programme.
The Department has identified a six priority package for the application of information and communication technology in the Polytechnic. These are:
- Setting up an Educational Internet and Intranet Portal
- Setting up a Specialized Laboratory
- Implementing a computerized academic records information system
- Implementing a computerized financial information system
- Implementing a Computerized Library Information System
- Implementing specific ICT-based applications for Education and Research.