Community Media/Roles/IT Support
IT Support Technician - Sample Job Description
Job Level: Senior Technical
To assist the Information Technology Department in providing quality technical support to the Organisation and/or Community by installing, modifying and making minor repairs to personal computer hardware and software systems, and by providing technical assistance and training to users of those technologies.
- Install or assist personnel in installation of hardware, software and peripherals.
- Enter commands and observe system functions to verify correct system operation.
- Respond to inquiries concerning systems operation and diagnose system hardware, software and operator problems.
- Instruct users in use of equipment, software and manuals.
- Recommend or perform minor remedial actions to correct problems.
- Provide updates, status and completion information for internal tracking and user communication purposes.
- Replace defective or inadequate software packages.
- Refer major hardware problems to the Associate Support Specialist for correction.
- Interview users to collect information about problems and lead users through diagnostic procedures to determine source of error.
- Handle problem recognition, research, isolation, resolution and follow-up for routine user problems, referring more complex problems to the Technical Support Manager.
- Call software and hardware vendors to request service and support regarding defective products.
- May perform other job-related responsibilities as assigned.
High school diploma plus three (3) years’ job related experience.
- Two (2) years of experience in computer hardware, software, and peripheral installation. Proficient experience in Windows XP and Outlook 2003 is essential.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and immediate access to reliable transportation.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Knowledge of analysis, problem resolution and diagnostic processes for information technologies and systems.
- Knowledge of software packages, including Microsoft Windows, Office and Exchange-based electronic mail and calendaring, as well as standard Internet browsers.
- Knowledge of setting up, configuring computers and making minor repairs to personal computers and peripherals.
- Knowledge of configuring computers for network and Internet access.
- Ability to determine the source of problems/errors, devise corrective actions and review results.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Ability to understand relevant detail from oral information and explain technical terms and information both orally and in writing.
- Ability to interact with diverse individuals and groups tactfully and assertively with the ability to listen attentively and creatively.
- Constant standing, walking, bending and lifting.
- Ability to lift and carry equipment of up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to maintain composure and a positive appearance in stressful situations.
- Must keep a very flexible work schedule to accommodate events and unscheduled technical problems.
- Professionally represent organisation while providing technical support.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.