Commonwealth Computer Navigator's Certificate/Milestone qualityAssurance/User Testing Overview
The user testing process is based on the documents Name docs.
OER criteria for user testing · Accuracy · Adaptability · Ease of use.
User testing process
User test after the reviews and before any evaluations. It should be short and focussed. Ideally the user/tester works unaided with the observer noting actions. There should be time for the users to discuss (about 10 minutes) and also time for the observers to discuss (10-15 minutes).
1. User information sheet –sent to inform users/tester. 2. Users consent form 3. User questionnaire. 4. Observer forms.
User testing sessions
We suggest that the session be 45 minutes long with time for discussion. From the observations and discussions common themes will emerge. Have one person oversee the process, administer the consent forms and answer any questions about process.
The notes from the questionnaire, the observations and all discussions should be compiled into one document or feedback form.
Chose or invite users in the course audience categories. Neilson () suggest 3-5 is an acceptable number.
· Consider away to reward the users’ participation (e.g. lunch, voucher).
· One hour is the preferred time frame for user testing. If you wish to take longer, consider breaks after 40-45 minutes.
· Have some observers who know about the course and some who know nothing. Both are helpful.
· It may be useful to use a video camera in addition to physical observers and may appear less obviously intrusive to a user than a person.
The user feedback should inform any new developments or flag any changes required. These should be done if time and money allow or if, after due consideration, they are deemed necessary. Before making any major change decisions consider the impact on other aspects of the course, on other courses within a programme or even on the project principles as a whole.