Chemicals Test Yourself Answers
1. What is the difference between an atom and a molecule?
- An atom is the simplest building block of matter – elements are made of atoms. Molecules are made of atoms joined together.
2. What is the chemical name for baking soda? And its formula?
- Baking soda, NaHCO3
3. Write the equation for carbonic acid splitting into water and carbon dioxide.
- H2CO3 • CO2 + H2O
4. A solution of table salt in water is an example of an electrolyte. What ions are present in this solution?
- Na+ and Cl- (also H+ and OH-)
5. What element is always present in proteins but not usually in fats or carbohydrates? Nitrogen
6. List three differences between glucose and glycogen.
- Glucose is a monosaccharide, glycogen is a polysaccharide (and a much bigger molecule);glucose is sweet to taste and dissolves in water, glycogen is not sweet and is insoluble; glucose is used for energy whereas glycogen stores energy.
7. Which will provide you with the most energy – one gram of sugar or one gram of butter?
- Fats provide approximately 2.5 times more energy than carbohydrates – so the butter wins hands down!