CYP RCA/Meeting Notes March17 09 DRAFT2
< CYP RCA
|Work in progress, expect frequent changes. Help and feedback is welcome. See discussion page.|
- Where are some of the conflict issues for young people in Africa
- Lives in Nigeria, but now in Ethiopia
- personal experience
- biggest problem, is the issue of "education"
- people having correct set of values, and principles of citizenship, and responsibilities of what citzenship are
- the number of young people involved with the militia, based on specific 'agenda'
- political discussions about resource allocation
"education is the biggest problem...
- trying to address conflict situation
- seriously invest in citizenship education....what it means to be a citizen, in a country....what are the responsibilities are....?
- lots o challenges
- free services, but other actual costs - transportation, etc., mitigates access
- when people are adequately schooled, then people are very likely to get a job; then the chances that they will want to be involved in negative activity are seriously diminished.
- youth frustrated, but high rates of suicide
- free schooling, free lunch
- kids didn't come to school
- Tanyss & husband would go into school....what we would do....youth drink, and sniff chemicals to get high, don't come to school, and violent with each other
- we turned things over to them - an issue of empowerment....these young people had NO control over anything.
- we started to put them in charge of things in the school, give them a sense of empowerment,
- they ended up taking charge of the communities in which they worked.... "Empowerment"
- Education - long-term advocacy
- Education - st - access education online
An Empowering Experience
- help people have an
- empowerment is linked to responsibility
- creating alternative learning.... emphasize education in different forms...
- and allow people to develop the confidence....to participate, or take on the responsibilities
- developing relationships? between people?
- try to reach the mainstream youth, and marginalised youth....
- ways to engage the peer group (tipping points)
- change their behaviour, and change their behaviour....
- give people a greater sense of their own power.....engage their own peers, and start to change their identity, and their
- move out of the mainstream youth
- how do we use online to support offline
- how do we ensure that young people are in a vulnerable situation, can benefit from these online resources
- online activites
- action learning, integrated processes
- look for ways to move forward
- Solomon Islands, and Jamaica - doing audio, radio (church radio stations, community radio stations)
- Jameaica 12-15 years
- Solomon Islands, late teens - 30
- FN in Canada (17-30 years old) - fairly new in the startup, too early....
- what are we doing and what we want to achieve (Dabeski)
- feeding in CYP strategy,
- where are we going, and what we want to achieve (Nellie), plug into CYPs agenda (Nellie)
- Keep in mind the LT goals (Tanyss)
- Key Objectives (CYP) ....keep in mind, for workshop
- ST - what will we do for now and June... keep in LT strategy
- we engage some key youth who will help to move this forward
- reach youth who are more marginalised, or don't have Internet access
- support each other
- come out of it as a mapping exercise
- difficult to create a roadmap for the whole programme
- - would it only include Zambia, consider inclusion of youth from Zambia
- - what role will this workshop have in the whole context; would the roadmap be premature
- focus on thematic areas
- include f2f workshops
- 1 day or regional workshop....some discussions with young people ...define workshops
- set up a plan, to focus activities (Nellie)
Roundtable vs. Workshop
- easier to sell (Roundtable)
- free, afternoon, Thursday, April 2
- free on Friday April 3
- April 4, 5, open
- 6-8, then doing a workshop at Open University of Zambia
- identifying themes
- welcome from James, CYP - signal, to peer group
- start online meetings, discussions
- model the process to the trainers, just aw we are doing....
- create timeframe for developing themes (do ti ASAP) - Nellie
Travel & Logistics
- costs, etc
- travel of key people
- identify leading organizations, to be cable to attend roundtable discussions....
- working in more than one country...
"Roundtable Discussion" - informal
- wiki discussions this week
- Tanyss comes, refine the ideas, and initial roadmap - Roundtable discussions
- Roundtable, builds a regional roadmap (April)
- further strategize how we move forward...
- Identifying their thoughts, for themes.... 1st one....
- help for Tanyss and Dabeski -
- plan of future meetings to take place
- adding to by Nellie and Victor - not to look for partners yet... - make it a weekday, Friday April 3
- take forward on the wiki, theme identification
- find people on the ground
- find people outside of Lusaka
- criteria to invite organizations...
- included to a Roadmap