Building and construction/Certificates

From WikiEducator
Jump to: navigation, search


Certificates are legal documents issued for varying purposes during the duration of a construction project and include;

  • Construction certificate - Approval for construction issued by local council or Principal Certifying Authority (PCA)
  • Progress claim certifcates - a formal request for payment
  • Essential services certificates - documentary evidence of compliance e.g. waterproofing, smoke alarms, termite barriers etc
  • Occupancy certificate - issued by the principle certifying authority to allow occupation of premises

Web resources

Samples and resources on Certificates

Sample Documents

This page has been established to upload sample documents to provide teachers with useful teaching resources. Please note these samples are "generic" and will need to be altered to suit specific projects.

Key points

1. It is the owner's right to choose a certifying authority who will issue the relevant certificates after inspecting the relevant stages of construction.

2. Under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act in NSW the Principal Certifying Authority (capable of issuing construction, occupancy and compliance certificates) can be the local council or a registered private certifier.

3. Some types of development (normally minor in nature) can be directly approved by the issue of a complying development certificate by the PCA (Principal Certifying Authority).

4. Builders can generally issue a waterproofing certificate if the works have been performed or supervised by them directly.

5. Other essential service certificates (termite barriers, smoke alarms, electrical and plumbing services) must be issued by specialist licenced tradesmen.

Case studies This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License

If you intend to teach with this material then please make a contribution to further this resource.