Overview of main pages
|Learning technology support tutorials|
|Q&A support forum||Introduction | Create an account | Update your profile | Overview of main pages | Using tags | Find answers | Ask questions | Earn karma points | Earn badges|
We recommend a discovery learning approach to familiarise yourself with our community-based question and answer forum. In this section we provide an overview of the homepage and the main components of a question and answer page.
Overview of the ask.oeruniversity homepage
Study the following screenshot of the ask.oeruniversity homepage and corresponding key which follows which follows.
- 1: Url for the ask.oeruniversity home page: http://ask.OERu.org
- 2: Username or Screen name. When logged in, you should see your username here. If you see the link "Hi there! Please sign in", click on this link to sign-in or create an account if you don't have one.
- 3: Homepage button. Click on the small house to return to the home page.
- 4: Click on the "All" button to list all questions for all courses.
- 5: Click on the "Unanswered" button for a list of all questions without answers. Useful for community volunteers and learners to identify questions which your input for quality answers.
- 6: Text field for entering search terms for questions and answers. Click on the magnifying glass button on the right or press <Enter> to execute your search.
- 7: To ask a new question, click on the "Ask your question" button.
- 8: Questions can be sorted in ascending or descending order according to date, activity, number of answers or number of votes.
- 9: Click on any question to view the question and answer(s) page.
Overview of a question and answer page
Use the question and answer page for viewing and submitting answers, voting on questions and answers and performing community support activities like tagging, editing and posting comments.
The screenshot below and corresponding key provides an overview of the question and answer page.
- 1: The question accessed by clicking the relevant question from the ask.OERu.org homepage
- 2: Voting "buttons" for questions. Click on to vote up and to vote down.
- 3: Tags assigned to this question. Click on the individual tag button to see all questions assign to the corresponding tag.
- 4: Share a question via your preferred social network including Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, indenti.ca or Google+. (You may need to be logged into your relevant social network to use this feature.)
- 5: Links to community moderation features for this question. The number of tools available for your account will depend on your number of points ("karma") in ask.OERu.org.
- 6: Post a comment about this question. Use for clarifications and brief suggestions, not discussions.
- 7: Number of answers posted for this question.
- 8: Sort answers by oldest, newest and most voted.
- 9: Voting buttons for one of the answers to the question. Where there are more than one answer to the question, vote for the best answer.
- 10: Links to community moderation features for this answer. The number of tools available for your account will depend on your number of points ("karma") in ask.OERu.org. Click on to vote up and to vote down.
- 11: Post a comment about this answer. Use for clarifications and brief suggestions, not discussions.