Chapter 1.5 - e-Learning Environment Needs Analysis
Analysis is the first phase in any project model. Success or the failure of any project depends on the analysis phrase most. Better the analysis of needs, lesser the chance of omission of any mistakes. The purpose of the analysis phase is to identify the instructional problem, to establish key learning outcomes and requirements in the design and delivery of learning materials. The analysis phase focuses on determining the gap between “what is” and “what should be” defined at the level of the learners for e-Learning resources. It is critical in most new design situations. It is important to conduct the analysis phase before trying to implement any training solution. Need analysis comprise of the following analysis as described below
A). Users Analysis
The information obtained from users’ analysis also known as learners analysis, helps in designing the instruction to specific type of learners, levels of the subject and how best to deliver the e-Learning material to effectively produce the needed outcomes. User analysis deals with potential participants involved in the process. The important questions being answered by this analysis includes; who will receive the training, their level of existing knowledge on the subject, what is the learning style used, who will conduct the training, etc.. This analysis is necessary in order to be able to design the structure of the e-Learning content to meet participants learning needs. Some of the guiding questions which were formulated to guide the analysis are:
- Who are the target users?
- What is their level of education?
- Will they be able to access the e-Learning resources and perform all the necessary interactions?
- How will the student benefit from the e-Learning resources?
- How will the teacher benefit from the e-Learning environment?
- How can the student's progress be evaluated?
As with the case of e-Learning contents, the analysis identified that there will be mainly five types of users who are going to interact with the system directly, content administrator, system administrator, school administrator, secondary schools teachers and students. The other two user types MoEVT official and guest are expected to visit the contents occasionally or depend on the need.
From the analysis, students will benefit substantially from using the e-Learning resources;
- Increase access to learning and teaching materials which are pedagogically designed (quality aspect) is one way to enhance the effectiveness of teaching.
- Establishment of the new learning approach to student-centred, in addition to teacher-led thus students achieving their goals more quickly.
- Students can conduct self-paced learning at their own time & place and can access their learning material from anywhere in this world via Internet or Intranet or from the provided CDs/DVDs or any other digital format.