Mathematical Journey/Activity on "y=mx+b"/Study Plan
1. Read the information and examples of writing the equation of a line in the form y=mx + b.
2. Using the first example, redo it on another piece of paper without looking at the answer. Then, check your work.
Key Questions (Critical Thinking Questions):
1. How do you find the slope and y-intercept given the equation of a line?
2. Give an example of the equation of a line with a slope of 0?
3. Give an example of the equation of a line with a y-intercept of 0?
4. Explain the function of the slope of a line.
5. Explain the function of the y-intercept of a line.
1. Write the equation of the line in the form y=mx+b:
a. m = 2 and b = -7
b. m = -5 and b = 6
c. m = 0 and b = 4
2. Explain what the line looks like in part a.
1. In your hometown, it costs $50 per day to rent a moving truck and $0.90 per mile that you drive the truck. If you use the truck for only one day, write the equation for the amount that you are going to pay. How much would you pay if you drove the truck 30 miles?